May 28, 2010

Until the Sun Comes Out

It seems our theme song this week has been
"Rain, rain, go away.
Come again another day,
Little Kyler, Kacin, and mommy want to play.
Rain, rain, go away."
It's just gray skies and lots of rain here.

My friend and I recently had a conversation
about depression, sadness, challenges of being stay-at-home moms.
It got me thinking about what I do,
or need to do more often,
to get me through moments of gloom.
I'm mostly a happy person,
but don't we all tend to feel a little sorry for ourselves,
overwhelmed, or just sad every once in a while?
As the chinese proverb says,
"You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow
 from flying over your head,
but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair."

What I need each day is
exercise,
fresh air,
scripture study,
a purpose or a to do list,
good music,
prayer,
a few minutes of quiet, and
to write in my journal or on this here blog.

What also helps me is
good conversation,
a celebration,
general conference talks,
involvement at the school or at church,
thoughtfully serving someone, or
doing something different.

And now, even though I have a strange desire to,
I will refrain
from linking to the Brady Bunch singing "Sunshine Day"
on youtube.
You can search it for yourself.
And laugh.
And wish you had moves and style like that.
Suzanne said...

I love Sunshine Day! We'll definitely be looking that link up. Good on you for making your own sunshine. Too bad you weren't in our state for the SNOW that fell hard on Monday. Yes, on the last week of school. Maybe rain isn't so bad...

Stefanie Hyer said...

Laura,
I must say that now that I am actually here and going to be a stay at home mom officially, I am started to worry and wonder what exactly I am to be doing, especially as to not get home sick, sad, or depressed, or even lonely now that Tyson will be a working boy.... that is a good plan... keep to it! Love you!

Cj-Sg said...

Hey guys. I was thinking the other day about this wonderful bakery in Mill Creek. I'm not sure of your exact location but I figure you're some where by fluke and Mill Creek isn't that far away. It's amazing! The bakery is called Cobs. I would fly to seattle just to go there. I suggest the pumpkin roll or the chocolate filled croissants. Is located on the Bothel Everett Highway and 153rd...eat one or two for me!

Jerrae

Elaine said...

I have to be sure to keep busy and get ourside, too. Otherwise staying home can seem kinda depressing sometimes. I think it also helps a lot to talk or hangout with other moms. Thats a really great list. I try to do a lot of the same things.