January 16, 2009

Too Scared to Spit


I volunteered to be part of an endometriosis study. They are looking for a gene that contributes to endo. I don't have to do much--answer a few questions, allow them to see some medical records, and . . . SPIT. They needed a DNA sample so they sent a container to spit into,which at first seems pretty little. No problem, right? WRONG. Spit is the most disgusting thing ever. I'd almost rather give blood (I said almost). I put it off for a week because I was so nervous about doing it. I never knew I had such a problem with it until I faced that stupid container that I had to fill up. Even with Eric's encouragement (laughter) the whole time, it took me forever. However, for the good of all endo sufferers everywhere, I endured the nastiness of it. I can proudly say that my spittle is now on it's way to be researched.
Stefanie Hyer said...

:) I am so proud of you!!!

Pattie said...

Oh my, I cannot imagine how much spit you needed to fill up an entire container. Grosses me out just thinking about it. Kudos for your willingness to spit for research.

Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness! I can't wait to talk to you in a few years after you've been the mother of boys for a while. Spit might have become a bigger part of your life. Honestly, I find "spitting" to be a disgusting habit in general, but I'm sure I could have spit into a sterile cup. I think it's great, though, that you're contributing to science for the better good of so many of us! Way to go.

Jacqui said...

that is so so gross

Natalie said...

Haha!! Good job Laura! I wouldn't be able to spit that much!

Holly Janeen said...

what the heck?
that is so random and funny i cant even stop laughing...
oh laura... you make me giggle!

Barb said...

I know exactly what you mean, gross!
You are a brave person, Laura!

Nate & Emily said...

I never thought about being afraid to spit! Way to go!