January 24, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened at the Kitchen Sink

I noticed it starting to happen a few days ago.
And today there was no denying it.
Those dishes in the kitchen sink took on a whole new meaning.
No more dread or disgust.
It's just satisfying, relaxing to scrub them clean.
Odd.
Why am I so content to do the dishes?
Am a full-fledged stay-at-home mom now?
Is this what happens?
I was happy to do them because I was happy that I actually cooked (and have been cooking) a full meal, using different recipes, and trying new things and that my children are actually entertaining themselves for (sometimes) longer than 15 minutes at a time, and that everyone is happy (for the moment), and that even though Eric is gone so much right now I can be a strong person and take care of all the unpacking and settling and day-to-day living and we can have this adventure in Washington because that's where we are supposed to be right now and everything is working out fine.
Just content
to do the dishes.
It's a funny thing.
Cheryl said...

I always describe my job as way harder than working full time, but way more rewarding. I'm not sure I ever get excited about washing the dishes, but I do think it will someday make a difference. Glad you're happy.

AnneMarie said...

You sound so good! Thanks for sharing your realization over dishes.

Darcee said...

I always find it ironic when I think of 'my old life' as I call it. . .when I published in scrapbooking and traveled with that and taught school and how satisfying and rewarding that was. Yet I'm so much more satisfied now just staying home being frumpy and doing laundry and dishes (well, and blogging because I need some sort of social life!) Sister Beck was right when she said that homemaking can be satisfying. I would have never believed it 10 years ago! Glad you're coming to it a little younger than me (okay, a lot younger!). . .

Stefanie Hyer said...

Wow. You are so great! I can only hope to be just as strong as you when I get to be a stay at home mom, all alone, in a new place, going day to day, unpacking and settling, entertaining, and missing my husband while he is off! Thanks for making it sound doable!

chelsea :: stock said...

love this post.


thanks for playing today. so fun.