May 10, 2020

Mother’s Day 2020

I just finished reading a book about Mother Teresa, "Mother Teresa: a life inspired." I found it striking that over and over again it was stated that Mother Teresa's life and all that she stood for and did was influenced by her own mother. Her own mother had welcomed anyone and everyone who was hungry to sit with them around their kitchen table, teaching young Agnes that what one had was never so scarce that it could not be shared with someone in need. When Agnes didn't know who they all were, her mother told her "Some of them are our relations, but all of them are our people."  Essentially teaching her that all people no matter their background or beliefs are children of God. And everyone needs a place. Her mother's example sank deep into her heart. She knew that a woman of faith had enormous potential and could have a great impact on the world. Building her life on that foundation her mother offered her, Mother Teresa became a powerful influence for good--reshaping missionary work, promoting peace, and loving individuals one by one. She became who she was because of her mother.

When asked what someone could do to promote peace in the world, Mother Teresa answered "Go home and love your family."

Love them! Love them for all of their quirks, virtues, shortcomings, and strengths. Intentionally love them. For that is how we can find the greatest joy and purpose in life. Love the people that surround us. As mothers and women, I do believe our influence is greater than we can even imagine. That doesn't mean we need to be perfect. We will fail and we will mess up and most of us and our children will end up needing therapy at some point or another. But if the people around us know that we love them and they are children of God then that will make all of the difference.

How lucky I am to be home to love these people.



My little family made me feel extra loved this mother's day. It started with breakfast in a special pink blanket draped chair. As we ate our meal, I got to share with them some of what I had read about mother Teresa.


Then they each blessed me with some very thoughtful cards and gifts. Their words brought me to tears! Their gifts were so individual and beautiful to me.
















My favorite part of the day was our home church. Eric asked each of the kids to share something I have taught them and how it has strengthened their testimony or brought them closer to Christ. Their messages of the Savior brought more tears to my eyes. 

Motherhood is humbling and challenging, yet incredible and beautiful. I felt very loved today and I hope they know how much I love them back.