November 17, 2013

Measuring My Day


I came across this blog post the other day and then yesterday after attending a beautiful funeral for an amazing man and while sitting at an all day foster care training my thoughts came together about what I should be asking myself at the end of the day.

This last year I have strictly been in survival mode trying to manage our home and family--two more kids really shook things up for us and we all had lots of adjusting to do.

I am ready to be more deliberate and thoughtful about my day and my time to keep peace and happiness in my home and to build strong family relationships.

I think this list will be a living document in which I can adjust things as me and my family change. Right now, at the end of the day I'd like to be able to say yes to these questions.

Have I read to both L and D?
Did I send Kyler and Kacin off to school with a hug, kiss, and smile? Did I greet them cheerfully when they got home?
Did I feed my family {mostly} nutritious food?
Did I work to tidy and create a pleasant, organized home environment?
Did I take time for myself by exercising, studying scriptures, and doing something I enjoy?
Did I spend time one on one with each of my children and my husband {playing or talking}?
Did I speak nicely?

Some of these I do naturally, some of these take a little effort, and some of these are really, really hard for me right now. I just hope that by deliberately thinking about these things I will get better.
The Kovar Family said...

It is great to have a list to keep ourselves on track and to feel like we have accomplished something in the day. You are a wonderful mother. As a person who sees your kids often, I want to let you know what I see. I see children who are happy, silly, and growing. They're confident in who they are, and they do not spend time worrying about what they need or about whether they are loved. They know what their strengths are. Other people like them because they are great friends. They try hard, show compassion and caring toward others. They are proud of their family and speak about their parents and experiences with respect. Even when they are frustrated with each other, their love is obvious. Knowing what I do about fostering children that have had a hard start in life, about remaining sane and helping a child with special needs grow, I can confidently say that all of this speaks to the home you provide and the care you show. Do not be too hard on yourself. You are amazing. (And your family knows it.)

Stefanie Hyer said...

I loved that! I just made and printed out my own list! That is a good list! Instead of a horrible TO DO list of EVERYthing I WANT to accomplish... this is far less stressful and inspiring to get the end result... a happy home and family! Thanks!