June 28, 2013

My Piano Recital

I took piano lessons for awhile when I was in Jr. High or something. I must have played for about a year or so because I do remember two piano recitals--one was at a nursing home and I played "Joy to the World" from the hymns made easy book while everyone sang along and I walked away feeling confident. My next recital I botched. I got up there and completely forgot the song I had memorized. I didn't bring the music because I knew that piece. And so I was humiliated and probably scarred for life. Well, something like that.
All along I was terrible at practicing so I eventually quit.

When we moved here to WA I became determined to find a piano teacher and stick with lessons no matter how terrible I was or how long it may take me to learn anything. I went to lessons every other week for about 2 and a half years, and for the last six months I've been trying to go each week. I tell my wonderful, sweet piano teacher, Debbie, that I'll be her forever student because my life isn't conducive to lots of practicing time and playing doesn't come as natural to me as I wish it did. So she puts up with the fact that I have never once played a piece perfectly for her and keeps putting stamps and stickers on the pieces I play good enough. She gets paid to endure me each week. Sweet, Debbie.


Debbie has three adult piano students right now. We had our first little "Tea Party/Recital" this week. It was just her and the three students invited to this first one. We each played one or two songs. 



How did I do? I got to open and close the recital with my songs. My first song was not my favorite one, but I was pleased when I recovered nicely from two small mistakes. My second song I knew like the back of my hand and I love that song. But of course I goofed it big time at the end and never recovered because I psyched myself out. But oh well. It was a lovely little get together and I just may have found comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only one who made mistakes that night. Life goes on. And treats were served to everyone whether or not we goofed up our songs.

Pictures with my music book and my boys before my recital: