September 2, 2010

Marjorie Belle Stapley Allen

She's beautiful.
Time made her even more so.
About a year ago,
I didn't understand why we moved to Arizona
but only got to stay for 5 months.
I know now that our family needed to get to Washington,
and those 5 months were just
a gift.
A few months to hold her hand
see her strength
smile, tease, and laugh
watch her play with and love on my boys . . .
I don't ever want to lose the memories
but already I feel them fading.
Pushing her in the wheelchair around the temple Christmas lights as she hugged my boys on her lap, whispering with her on the couch, reminding her who I was each morning I came to see her, playing dominoes, teasing my boys with kisses, sewing for us and with us, tasting her chocolate cream torte, playing war,
I don't want to forget it.
When I close my eyes, I want to relive it all.
It's comforting to remember though that
every day she proved that even when the words and memories drift away
you can not forget the feelings.
It was said at her funeral that she never was a model of success
by the world's standards,
no awards, no degrees, not a doctor, actress, scientist, or author.
No, she was greater than that.
She radiated love.
She had a sweet sense of humor
and an abounding amount of patience.
After 86 years,
mothering 4 boys
and grandmothering 12 grand kids,
loving her husband,
sewing and baking,
drinking rootbeer,
and enduring alzeimer's
she has finished
her time on this earth.
9 of the 12 grandkids after the funeral
Her favorite color--purple
Jacqui said...

Laura- Can you put all those pictures on shutterfly so I can copy them in full resolution????-

AnneMarie said...

What a sweet post! You are so lucky to have such a great relationship with your Grandma--something I missed out on. I hope you are comforted by your knowledge of our Father's plan and that your memories continue to bring you good thoughts of her.

Darcee said...

How sweet! I'm thankful for your perspective.