September 3, 2010

In the Middle of the Night

       About a week or two ago, Kacin was outside playing with one of his favorite friends, Jack. When it was time to come in for the day, I saw Kacin whispering something to Kyler and I overheard him telling him it was a secret. But this is Kacin. So, about one minute later, he was telling me that he and Jack had plans to meet really early in the morning and ride their bikes together. I casually reminded him that in our family if anyone needs to leave the house they need to wake mommy or daddy up and let them know where they'll be. Someone always needs to know where you are to keep you safe. The next day he explained to me that he woke up, but decided to go back to sleep because he was too tired. A few days after this, Kacin told me that he and Jack were going to spy on people in the middle of the night. When Eric tucked him in that night, Kacin told his daddy he might wake him up in the middle of the night. He slept soundly that night. Since we just got back from a six day visit to Arizona, the boys were super excited to play with Jack again yesterday. I gave Kacin a ten-minutes-until-the-end-of-playtime warning. A few minutes later, he runs inside searching and yelling for a piece of paper. He hurried back outside and then reappeared a few minutes later smiling and hiding something behind his back. It took him a little longer this time to reveal all of his plans and secrets, but it all came out while I was cooking dinner. He was so excited about it he couldn't stop jumping and smiling. They exchanged phone numbers and decided that tonight was the night they would really meet outside. I asked Kacin what they would do outside and he reassured me that if they cross the street they would look both ways. We discussed how happy I was that he was telling me so I could make sure he was safe, but how would Jack's mom feel if she didn't know where Jack was. Sometime during our conversation he told me I could even come along when he left the house. He managed to keep his plans a secret from Kyler and daddy. At 1:45am, I awake to little Kacin standing by my bed and explaining to his dad that he needs to talk to mommy. Eric asks if he had an accident. He said no. Eric asks what he needs. He said he needs to talk to mommy. Eric is confused. I open my eyes and he says "Mommy, remember?" So I throw my warm blanket to the side and we hold hands as we stumble down the stairs and out the front door. We don't even bother to put our shoes on. We make it to the driveway and stop. We look over at a silent and dark Jack's house. We look up at the bright stars. I look down at Kacin and ask if he's ready. He exclaims "Yes! It's cold!". We turn around, walk back upstairs, and I tuck him into bed. **Oh, will he always tell me, and invite me along, when he wants to sneak out of the house?**

       Kyler was up last night, too. At 10:45pm, I was just about to go to sleep when I heard a lot of noise coming from Kyler's room. When I went in to check on him, I found a huge pile of random toys on his bed and under his blankets. I asked what he was doing. No response. He looked at me and I asked him again. He said he didn't know. Funny thing is I don't think he did know. I took all of the toys out of his bed and he immediately fell back asleep. I guess he was sleep playing.
Stefanie Hyer said...

Haha that was so funny! I hope Kacin always tells you and invites you also! And if you are going to do anything in your sleep, I guess playing is not bad. Better than having to double lock the doors so he doesnt leave the house in his sleep.

mommy said...

hahaha... that's awesome. hopefully he'll keep you that informed when he's a teenager.

Barb said...

Oh, Laura, that is precious! You can just keep hoping that he invites you about 10 years from now. . . Actually, you are on your way to getting invited, he will always remember that you joined him instead of getting angry.

nancy said...

Scary! You are so brave to be out in the dark at night.... without Eric!

Darcee said...

LOVE this cute story! Love that Kacin remembered to get up and that a cute momma got up with him!