November 5, 2009

Mamacita: Hugs, Kisses, and a Little Off-Key

It wasn't this way at first.
They would fall or get hurt, and just keep going.
If they cried, it was to themselves. If they couldn't sleep at night, they would lie in bed with wide eyes.
I sometimes regret the few moments in the beginning that I could have seized and built upon, but let slip.
Bonding and attachment are interesting things.
It just doesn't happen over night,
for either of us (the parent or the child).
That's why, this morning, when Kyler bonked his head as he was getting ready for school, yelled "ow", ran downstairs, realized it was just Kacin downstairs, ran back upstairs, met me in the hall, and melted into my arms, I was thrilled as I realized what it means.
He knows he can come to me and I care.
He knows that my hugs and kisses can make it all better.

I walked by their room tonight after they were tucked into bed.
I heard the sweet whisper of my name. He explained he was having trouble falling asleep and asked me to sing the "Lullaby" song.
The same song my mom used to sing to me.
Except the way I sing it is a little off-key.
He didn't care though.
So I sang and he relaxed.
He knows he is safe.

I went to volunteer in his classroom.
As I stepped through the door,
a few of the kids shouted out "Your mom is here, Kyler!"
He smiled.
As I got a little closer, he said "I love you, my mamacita!"
He knows he is loved.

He is happy.


Pattie said...

I hadn't planned to cry, but I did. I so dearly love your boys. Miss you all so much!

Barb said...

It's funny how we can cherish some of our children's crying moments! Kyler KNOWS he is loved, Kacin KNOWS he is loved, and Mamacita KNOWS she is loved, love on a most celestial level!

Stefanie Hyer said...

Awe how cute! HOW CUTE... did he really call you his mamacita?? =)

nancy said...

It is easy to love Kyler, Kacin, Laura and Eric. I love all of you! Thanks for sharing.