January 29, 2019

universal studios

One of the ways I want to celebrate the end of my cancer treatments is with adventures. So it’s been an unofficial goal of mine (which I might as well just add as an official 2019 goal) to go on an adventure every month this year. January’s adventure was a fun one!

I took Kyler and Kacin, some of their friends, and my sister Jacqui on a quick trip to CA for a day at Universal Studios.




The party bus pulled out Thursday afternoon and we drove to LA. We stayed at Jenny’s charming house. 




The boys played a lot of chess and monopoly while we were there. 




These boys were great. I’m so glad Kyler and Kacin have such great people as their friends. Though I will note that after a devotional from the Bible the first night before we went to bed, Jacqui and I looked at each other and both agreed we felt like camp counselors.


Friday morning we headed over to universal studios. We were one of the very first to get into the park. That happened because of me. And maybe because of a slight mix up with the time change not happening on my phone and so I was frantically getting everyone up and out an hour before we really needed to. Oops! Haha.




We headed straight over to Harry Potter land. 




It’s so charming and magical and full of intricate and cool details. It’s just hard to enjoy and take it all in when you don’t have to wait in long lines and can go straight into the ride. I’m not complaining about that though!







We made sure that everyone in our group knew which Hogwarts house they would belong in (we took the quiz while we waited to get into the park). I am a Ravenclaw. 




We decided Hippogruff’s must not like to fly very much because it was the shortest rollercoaster ever. But passing by Hagrid’s hut is always fun.




The longest line we waited in all day was to go into Ollivanders (a 30 min wait).









We got our frosted butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks. Yum!!








Kyler downed his turkey leg in 2 min.


We enjoyed the other rides during the day. But my favorite was definitely The Mummy.




We stayed until after the park closed. It was 6pm and we all ended up on the mummy ride together and ran from the exit to the entrance over and over again until they officially kicked us off at 6:25.






We definitely got a workout in on these stairs and escalators alone! There are like 4 levels of them. And we took the stairs or ran them up both times.


Ben collapsed after running up the down escalator.


Saturday morning we drove to the beach at Santa Monica.










We saw two dolphins near the beach and it was sensational to watch. I also enjoyed a nice long walk along the sand.






Jen and I walked along the pier while the boys and Jacqui looked at the shops.




Adventures and outings like this thrill me so I’m so glad we were able to go.