September 15, 2018

Perry's baptism

It was such a special day. Perry was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 




We tried really hard to prepare Perry for this important decision. We talked about baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost as often as we could. We read the Book of Mormon to him (though we didn’t quite finish before his baptism). It’s so hard sometimes to know how much he understands. Communication can be tricky. I know some things were confusing to him. But he did tell me that he knew baptism was important and he was happy to get baptized. 








We gathered at the stake center so we could start the baptism at 10am and be done by 10:30am. We knew Perry would do best if we kept it short and we had our own program separate from the other child in our ward getting baptized that day. Everyone was very accommodating to his needs and it worked out perfectly.

We were so grateful for the family and friends that came to support Perry. The room was filled! And it meant so much to our family to be surrounded by people who we love and to feel their support. I wish I had a picture of everyone!




The program was short and sweet. Kyler and Kacin each gave the perfect talks. Perry did well when it was time to go into the water. His arm and foot came up the first time so he had to be baptized again. When he came up out of the water the second time, he asked so sweetly “I did it?”



Layla had a special job to do, too. While Eric and Perry were changing back into their regular clothes, she announced to everyone to write a note for Perry and passed out markers and notecards. I was proud of her for speaking in front of such a big crowd. She took her job very seriously.


After the baptism, we invited everyone back to our house for food. I had a few angel friends who had asked ahead of time what they could do to help.  Normally, I would have graciously declined any help, but my head kept telling me to accept the help this time. I’m so glad I did and I am so thankful for kind, thoughtful people. They brought cookies, cut up fruit, and helped me get everything set up. One of them even took these pictures, including a few of the people there.














Perry was so excited to come back to our house to watch his movie. I put together a video on iMovie with pictures of him and music. We had that video playing on the tv while everyone was here. When I first put it together the video was over 30 minutes long! I have way too many pictures of my cute kids. I worked on it some more and was able to bring it down to half the time. 

We tried to do a photo shoot with Perry (twice actually). Jacqui was so kind to take his pictures! The first time the sun was too bright in his eyes. The second time, we met at the temple at the end of the day and he was super crabby about the whole thing. His smiles were fake and forced and he just wanted that tie off. This picture pretty much sums up how it went.


Jacqui was able to get a few other sweet pictures of him. (Thank you, Jacqui!) We totally put my phone in the Book of Mormon to get this first picture. Ha!








A tradition in our family when you turn 8 and get baptized is to receive your own nice set of scriptures. We took Perry a few weeks earlier to pick out his scriptures and case. Eric said a few words and presented his scriptures to him on Sunday before church. (Grammie gave him those tic tacs, as well as a few other things, he is clutching to put in his scripture case. He was excited to bring them to church and share with his friends.)










We are so very proud of Perry and happy for him that he was able to be baptized and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was a perfect day.