September 29, 2012

Survival

I survived one whole week with four kids
alone
with Eric on a business trip
from a Sunday to a Friday.

However, I only survived because
I prayed like crazy
and so many people were kind enough
to bring me meals,
text and call to check in on me,
take an older child of mine for two of the afternoons,
let me borrow strollers,
drop off a baby gate,
bring me flowers,
drive my son from soccer to pack meeting,
bring me homemade bread
and even load my dishwasher and clean my sink.

I can not even begin to express how very, very grateful I am
for all the support
in so many different ways.
It means so very much to me and to our whole family.

Eric is home now.
Most days are still considered successful
if we are all alive at the end of the day.
But we are figuring out routines
and all getting used to each other
so life is getting easier.
And I am glad of that.

I do think I've gained at least 5 pounds though.
My baby weight always seems to come
After the kids get here.
But that is because one of my necessities
to survive
these crazy days is mint Oreos.
That can do it to you.

Other things to note on week 3. . .
We are all in love with baby L.
She has the cutest smile.
She doesn't scream quite as much anymore
when Eric picks her up.
We are proud of the fact that she
has learned to wave, clap, high five, and sign "eat"
since she's been with us.
She's also getting much closer to walking.

D is a cutie.
How can you not adore his laugh?
He is a little tease and loves to play and tickle.
He loves music--
the piano, primary songs, and banging on everything like its a drum.
He sings and babbles happily to himself most of the day.
He will now mostly stay with me
and come upstairs, downstairs, or outside
when I need him to.
He is becoming quite successful at using a spoon
to feed himself applesauce.

Kyler and Kacin are both amazing big brothers.
They are extremely helpful.
Kacin loves helping with bath time.
Kyler loves to play with them.
And they both help to make sure the kiddos don't get into trouble.

Eric and I still wonder if we are crazy to be doing this.
I think we are.
But I do not doubt that this is what we are supposed to be doing.
And when you are asked to do something hard,
even at an already busy time of your life,
there's always a way to do it.
We are loving all these kids with all of our hearts
and trying to enjoy these moments
as best as we can.


Jenna Allen said...

So glad you survived!! I'm sure you're all doing great.