August 20, 2019

5am


The alarm clock goes off at 4:30am
every morning.
Kyler gets up and gets ready
to run.
E and I take turns driving him
to meet his cross country team at the school.
I can't stop being
amazed
at how I can wake up at 4:30 or 5:30 most mornings
because there is no way in this world that I could've done that last year.
Being a little tired each day from lack of sleep
is nothing
like being utterly exhausted from cancer treatments.
And so I feel pretty gosh darn spectacular
that I can wake up this early right now.
And then I feel even more impressed by Kyler
who not only gets up so early each morning but
RUNS SIX MILES
or more
every day
except for sunday.
Today I returned to the school an hour later
with fruit and juice and
chocolate milk.
Always bring chocolate milk to runners.
The sky is really pretty at 6am.
Kacin and I set up the table
and another parent brought muffins and bagels.
Our purpose was to feed those
incredible, dedicated runners.
I'm proud my son is one of them.
So proud
that I didn't even take a picture of him
all sweaty and with his teammates
because
I did not
want to embarrass him.
Kacin never gets embarrassed by me
or the phone on my camera
so he was glad we took this picture
while we waited for the runners.
Or something like that. :)