April 8, 2019

cancer check in

My hair regrowth has actually been quite fascinating. So after the peach fuzz and I started to get real hair in, I noticed a whole plethera of gray hairs. A lot more gray than I used to have. So I plucked some out and discovered that most of the gray hairs were only half gray--the roots were much darker as the hair regained its color over time. Not the best picture of it, but you can see what I'm talking about with this hair we put across my hand.



During spring break, I took the scariest step ever and went a whole day without anything covering my head. I felt naked. Except I'd actually be more comfortable being naked in a crowd than with my hair short and awkward like this. So on the inside I was trembling and uncomfortable all day, but I took some breaths and mustered up every ounce of courage I could manage.


The more you do it, the easier it gets. Since spring break, the weather warmed up and that kind of encouraged me to ditch the beanie and now I don't ever cover my head. I still don't like it, but I'm learning not to think about it so much. My hair has turned pretty wavy and awkward. But that means it is growing so that's ok.

It was Layla's turn to come with me to an oncologist appointment. She got to be there for my second shot and meet Dr. P for the first time. I was still dramatic for this second shot, but the nurses know me now and they gave me hugs and held onto me during the shot and I did it.





My immune system is still pretty much shot. Over the last few weeks I have had shingles and then a few days after feeling better from that I caught some combination of strep and the flu. I'm grateful for all of the modern medicines to help me recover a little easier. Even if some of them are HUGE and blue.



A few people asked me this week about my treatment. I was able to tell them I am officially in remission. That is surreal.