November 8, 2018

Chemo 6 and 7

I was the luckiest to have Kyler with me for chemo infusion number 6. He is such a wonderful son and I was so grateful for his support and love and to have him by my side.



When I had the chemo Taxol, I broke out in a rash. So we had to switch to a different drug, Taxotere for my next treatment. My oncologist explained that Taxotere is similar to Taxol. But it has been connected to permanent hair loss. Yep, there would be a slight chance (my dr has had one patient in 12 years) that my hair would be gone forever. That would be an awful side effect! But we agreed to try this new chemo. 

This teenager makes me so happy.



Kyler kept me entertained during my infusion. Well, until the benedryl knocked me out and I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.



The Taxotere side effects were similar to Taxol. I had some joint/bone pain. It wasn't as unbearable as my first Taxol had been, but it was pretty crummy. Day 2 I was actually doing ok. Which was a blessing because Eric got sick that day. But day 3-5 were absolutely awful. It got a little better each day after that. By day 9, I was ok enough that we went out to dinner with friends.

We gave my wig a washing. If you wear your wig every day for 30 days, you need to wash it. I hardly ever wear mine these days. Comfort wins out most days around here. But it was due for a cleaning.







I just got through chemo number 7. You know, I think chemo numbers 6 and 7 were physically rough (chemo 7 took even longer for the nausea to go away), but even more than that they were mentally and emotionally hard because I'm just so worn out from all of this. And it is super draining to be doing chemo every two weeks. The times that I had an extra week in between were so much easier to go into. However, chemo 7 means that I am only one away from being done with chemo (hopefully forever!)!

At chemo 7, I realized I had come full circle. There was a lady there who was getting her first red devil treatment. She will be doing the same treatment I had. It was nice to be able to pass on tips and information and support just like someone did for me during my first treatment.


I met with the radiation oncologist this week. After I'm done with chemo and my scans, I will start radiation (most likely the first week of December). I will be doing 6 weeks of radiation, 5 days a week. Brinna was a little shining star in that office and so the nurses oohed and ahhed over her and gave her a balloon.


My final chemo is tomorrow!!!!