June 18, 2018

we will do this together

I am overwhelmed by the love and support surrounding me. 

Thoughts about my cancer--the worries, fears, next steps, changes, grief--are always spinning around in my head. And after awhile those thoughts seem to send me to a dark place. A lonely, burdened place.

Eric always reminds me (and my mom has said it, too) that I don't have to do this alone. We will do this together.

I am the luckiest to have such an amazing, selfless husband and best friend right there with me on every single step of this cancer road. I do not take that for granted.

And then standing with me and Eric are family, friends, and our church congregation. Our load is lightened knowing that we have so many good people by our side to help us along. 

Seriously, I had no idea that people were so compassionate and kind and thoughtful. I am learning so much. And they are lifting me and comforting me. 

Every text, message, phone call, email, gift, treat, conversation, hug, offer to help, lunch date, meal, babysitting, podcast shared, and visit has seriously meant so much. So very much.

I wasn't sure if I would post about this stuff because I am afraid to leave something out and because I only have pictures of some of the tangibles, but really every single kind word and thoughtful deed has brought me peace and comfort and love, too--no matter how big or small and even if I don't have a picture of it. All of this unexpected extra kindness has really meant the world to me and to my family. 


























To help him cope, Eric started a list of kind things that people had done for us. But he really can’t even keep up on it! There has also been bath bombs, a freezer full of meals, paper products, an album of music to download, books, button up shirts...the list goes on and on and each thing no matter how big or small has lifted my spirits and helped me to feel surrounded by love. And when you are surrounded like this you feel more strength than you could ever have on your own and a determination to face the scary awful things you have to do.

I am learning so much about compassion and what the promise I made at baptism “to mourn with those who mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comforting” really means. God sends people around us to help us feel of his goodness and love. 

And I can not end this post without saying that it is Christ who is truly always there for you. In those dark moments when it is just me alone in my room, I have poured out my soul to God and read from the scriptures and I am learning so much about the atonement. Because Jesus Christ is my Savior and he knows and understands my feelings completely. No matter what we are going through (the good, the bad, or the really, really bad), He wants us to come unto Him. He gives us true peace and comfort and understanding of all of life’s experiences. 

I can do this together.
Elaine said...

Hi Laura! I am praying for you and your family. I have always admired you, and how you fulfill your role as a mom makes me want to do better. Even though some of that might change for a while, I know you can find the strength in this hard time. You are amazing! -Elaine