March 1, 2017

these days

We have always had a "First work, Then play" rule at our house. We get up and get our chores done first so then we can spend the rest of the day doing what we want and need to. And then along came Layla. She has not/will not conform to this way of life. I might get her to get dressed, but on the way to brush her teeth she has begun a game of puppy dog. She may start to clean her room, but when you check on her two minutes later she is making up stories and imagining with the toys she is supposed to be putting away. You may think she is putting away her hairbrush, but she has instead begun a game of "Disneyland" on the spinning chair with her dolls. And it's hard to interrupt all of her creativity and fun! Which means it takes us about two hours to get her ready in the morning. What are we going to do next year when she has to be at school at 8am?  

We have a zoo membership now and I'm trying to get the most out of it. Especially before the weather turns and I start to melt under the sun. Kacin was actually happy about an afternoon at the zoo when I let him bring two friends along. Perry was excited to be there too and see all of the animals. He likes the zoo right now. As long as we don't stay too long.





Layla has been along on many visits to the zoo. We have taken cousins, friends, and grandma on separate trips.










We had a really special afternoon when we got to take Kacin to the temple to do baptisms for the dead for the first time. There was a looong wait that day. At one point, as we sat still in the chapel, Kacin leaned over and whispered to me, "This is the quietest I have been in months." I definitely believe that one! He is a sweet boy and I'm so glad we could share that time in the temple together.





While we were watching Kyler's soccer game, Layla was so proud of herself for climbing up this fence.


Kyler has been in drumline all year long. Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I had no clue whatsoever what drumline was. I pictured it like marching band. But really I didn't even know much about that. Kyler has talked a little bit about drumline, but not too much. I couldn't make it to his first show, but I went to his second one, and I was pleasantly surprised how much fun it was. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I was thoroughly impressed with Kyler's skills on the cymbals! Kyler is one amazing kid. I don't know how he does it all. For example, in one week he gave an inspiring talk as Deacon's quorum president at Priesthood Preview, managed his homework for all of his honors classes, played hard in two soccer games, was a rockstar big brother to his three siblings, and was part of a first place drumline competition show. Pretty impressive!






We spent some time at the park with cousin Macie.


Pretending they were on a ride at Disneyland...



In activity days, I planned a nutrition/health fun run competition. They split up into teams of two or three. They each had a question board. They answered the question and lifted the flap on their answer. If they got it right, they had a task to complete. If they got it wrong, they had a slightly harder task to complete. I think the girls had a blast running around completing all of their challenges. At least I had fun watching it all come together. And everyone was pretty tired at the end.






Perry had a rough week while Eric was out of town for the second week in a row. After some tantrumming I finally got him upstairs, but he was refusing to take his clothes off for a bath. So I said to get in with his clothes on then. And he did. A little humor goes a long way and he settled down just fine after this particular bath.



Layla finally won the medal in soccer!! Yay! Each week after the game, one child is given a medal. And it is all Layla has been talking about. And probably the only reason she has kept with soccer.


Layla found great-grandpa's hat. And pulled it over her nose to try and block the smell as we passed the dairy farm.


We went on a family hike.





Kacin had his tryouts for Little League and was drafted onto the Redsox team. He is so excited to be playing baseball again!


Our neighborhood had a big spring party and the kids had a blast with all of the bounce fun.














Perry was so excited to show us the Lego Star Wars library book he brought home from school. His sweet brothers were happy to read it to him.



My friend from WA was sorting through pictures and sent this one. I know we look big mouthed and funny, but it just made me ache to be back in WA! I miss everyone!


And this is what happens when Layla makes her own sandwich. We call her peanut butter lips.