March 21, 2010

To Talk

Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.


Sometimes I think it's funny that I went into the education field. Most people think Teacher=Public speaker/likes to talk. Yet, that's not me. I may be ok if it's a room of all 1st graders, but throw even one adult in the mix, and my heart is pounding and my face is red and my hands are shaking.

Even in normal, everyday conversation I may feel intimidated and my mind goes blank, I stumble over my words, and sometimes you get some kind of nervous giggle.

It is my weakness. To talk.

But it's guaranteed that each time we move, and every year we stay, we will be asked to speak in church. And so we do.

I got through it today by remembering a few things: It could be worse--they could've asked our family to sing! And if I pass out or throw up they won't ask me to speak again.

But what really helps me through is the promise that if I recognize my weakness, humble myself, put my complete faith and trust in Heavenly Father, pray constantly, and prepare to the best of my ability than my weakness will become something a little stronger than it was.

I am satisfied that today I didn't shake too badly and the color of my face didn't resemble a tomato and I walked away from the pulpit with a sense of peace. Or just relief that I made it through.

It could be considered a good thing to be stretched and pushed and humbled. And it is. I am glad that I did it.

I'm not saying that I'm ready to do it again anytime soon, but just that I'm grateful that I have a Heavenly Father who helps me make it through things that I feel reveal my weaknesses a little too openly. He is there for us.
Darcee said...

I'm sure you did better than you think! And for what it's worth, I don't think you are a word-stumbler and you are a great public speaker. You always handle yourself so well. (But I can relate to all the accounts you listed....)

Stefanie Hyer said...

Yay! I am so proud of you Laura! You are an amazing person! Good job on speaking, getting through it, and having the faith to do it! It is always so very hard for me to remember that, and just give up instead! =) Love you!

Jenna Allen said...

Love you Losie!