January 17, 2018

my good people

I, like so many others, absolutely loved the movie “The Greatest Showman”. I even saw it twice in the theater. The soundtrack plays constantly at our house. And the last two Sunday nights we have had dance parties in the living room as we blast our favorite songs from the movie (all of them). 

(Let me clarify dance parties: Layla and I dance around as free as birds, Eric joins for a song or two, Kyler and Kacin sit on the coach until we drag them off then Kyler and Kacin wrestle each other until I ban them from touching, Perry plays legos but sings along to the music)

During last Sunday night’s family dance, I couldn’t help but think about one of the best lines of the movie:

 “You don’t need the whole world to love you. Just a few good people.” 

In a world that screams at us that we need to be noticed, that we need to be successful, that we need to do more, in grand ways, that touch the masses, that we need to be liked and followed on social media, I am glad to know this—we really just need a few good people around us to love and be loved by. An ordinary life can be quite extraordinary. I think that is an important secret to happiness.

I am truly blessed with my good people.