October 22, 2014

light

There are a lot of good people in this world.

I see that every day.


There are amazing people who choose to be ABA therapists and behavior coaches. They work day in and out with individuals who keep them on their toes and probably test their patience. These therapists are amazing. We just moved therapy offices to reduce our commute time, so we had to say goodbye to a sweet lady who has helped Perry for the past 6 months or so. But now we are working with two more people who I can already see shine in their jobs.

Then there are kind strangers who walk by my family and offer a compliment. Compliments, especially the one after being in the car together for four hours, remind me to step back and remember "yes, these are beautiful children. I am lucky. They may each have their quirks and challenges, but they also have so much good."

A wonderful lady from church called me awhile ago. She said she has been thinking about me and my family the last couple of months and finally decided what she could do. She said she knew we didn't have family around here and since her kids are grown, and most live far away from her, she wanted to be a "grandma" to us and have Perry over to her house to play each week. It is so very sweet of her. I cried. Seriously. It is hard stuff to be on the receiving end of kindness and thoughtfulness, but I am so grateful. I can't even describe how grateful I am. A little while ago I was embarrassed that I couldn't do it all, but I'm over that because I totally can't do it all. I'm grateful for the help. I promise that, especially, once we are through this stage I will pay it forward--I want to grow up and be like her.

I'm surrounded by good people. Good coaches and teachers for my kids, good family, good friends, good women and men at church, good neighbors, and then
a much more than good husband.

he even cooks with me :)


All these good people shine their lights for me and my family. 

Where there is light, darkness can't be. 

And when I feel like I sit alone in a room where the light is fading, I remember I have a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior, Jesus Christ. That is my greatest source of light. 

So I pray. That is how I find answers to help my kids. 

I pray. During my son's meltdown, when I glance down at the fading bruise from the bite and fresh scratch marks on my arms, that is how I find strength, patience, and love.

I pray. That is when I always feel hope and peace.

I come across this quote this week by Dieter F. Uchtdorf, ""God’s light is real. It is available to all! It gives life to all things. It has the power to soften the sting of the deepest wound. It can be a healing balm for the loneliness and sickness of our souls. In the furrows of despair, it can plant the seeds of a brighter hope. It can enlighten the deepest valleys of sorrow. It can illuminate the path before us and lead us through the darkest night into the promise of a new dawn."

I'm grateful for God's light and for the light of good people around me.