June 27, 2017

grandma Mary

Just two weeks after we said goodbye to my grandpa Allen, we had to say goodbye to another absolutely remarkable woman. Eric's Grandma Mary passed away and her family and friends gathered for her funeral.

Grandma Mary was a favorite of mine. She was so very welcoming when I married Eric. This probably had something to do with the fact that I met her criteria for marrying one of her grandchildren--have to like Mexican food, like picture shows (especially hallmark movies), and darn it all I can't remember the last one but I met it. She always made me feel like I was her favorite granddaughter in-law. She made everyone feel like they were her favorite.

 
 
When Eric and I were newly weds we used to gather at her house often for meals with some of the other cousins. She even organized a cousins golf tournament. Eric and I visited her in Minnesota one year. And I remember one time we drove her to a funeral she wanted to attend in Thatcher. I loved that drive with her. She told me story after story about her life growing up in Texas, experiences attending a boarding school, and her life with Eric's grandpa Farrell. I wish I had recorded those stories. She did not have an easy life, but she was resilient and full of life.

 
 
 
 
 
It was wonderful that almost all of her living children, grand children, and great grandchildren were able to be there to celebrate her life. We loved catching up with people we haven't seen in years. We used to spend a lot of time with some of Eric's cousins when we lived in Utah so it was so fun seeing them all.

 
The funeral was really nice. Eric was asked to dedicate the grave.

 
 
 
 
Josh, Kt, Sierra, Justin, and Jasmine came over to our house that night. Some people jumped in the pool, but most of us just stayed up really late into the night talking. The next morning Layla loved spending more time with sweet Sierra.