January 20, 2017

these days

I have so many thoughts swirling in my head, but, lately, no time to organize them. Among other things, I started subbing at Layla's school. And so I have been there a few afternoons each week. But it's been working out nicely. I don't have to sub every day. And when I do, Layla can always come with me and since E works from home he is able to get kids off the bus if I'm not back in time.

I've also started a second round of organizing the house. When we moved in we quickly found spots and put stuff away. But now that we've been in the house for awhile, it is time to better organize things like the pantry, and basically every other closet in the house.

Right after the new year we were able to meet up with our good friends who were in town. They were our second family when we first moved to washington. I don't know how I would've survived the first years in WA without our swapping of kids and meeting up at parks and museums and gatherings for holidays. We love their family! And look at how cute and little our kids were back then (plus little Kiera).


We have each added kids to our family and grown up quite a bit since we last saw each other so it was wonderful to catch up with them. I hope it's not too long before we see them again.




Perry is handling his work and demands a little better now. As in, still whining like crazy the whole time while doing it, but will try in short bursts when properly motivated without outright refusing or becoming aggressive and destructive. This is good! I am especially proud of the little guy for taking out his homework and doing some tracing each day after school (pretty much) independently. Wahoo! We are also trying to sneak in more time and focus at home on learning his letters. Oh, my greatest goal for him would be to learn to read some day! I love this boy and I'm proud of all his growth and hard work.


During the break, I was lucky enough to get to take these guys to the mall (the first teenage initiated trip to the mall). Of course, we had to make a stop at Sodalicious.


Layla was also very excited for her first cousin sleepover. Macie was coming to spend the night so a few days earlier Layla worked on her plan of what they would do together during the sleep over. Where does she get this list making from?? ;) ;) I'm glad she's so much like me in so many ways.


A pillow fight at the sleep over was a must.




Layla has been into book making lately. I get to staple pages together all the time.


We got to be there to celebrate Grayson's 1st birthday. And this is the only picture I got from it--Perry helping him open his gift from us. On a related note, if you ever want to practice your skills of persuasion and patience then take Perry shopping for a present for someone else. :) Let's just say, my boy knows what he wants to get, and it's usually not within budget.


We have had many evenings of wrestling around here the last few weeks. A princess in a superman cape and optimus prime make make a great team against a strong daddy.  






Before they went back to school, I took these great boys hiking.



It's tradition now to balance on this rock.






Perry took a lesson from Layla and tried his hand at the selfie during FHE the night we set our goals for our new theme.



He even captured a few shots of some others.



Kyler got his "soccer haircut" at sports clips and then Kacin got his haircut from dad at home.


Kacin LOVES that I assign him homework each day to challenge him.


 Layla started soccer! She has been so excited to play on a team like her big brothers.

Layla also passed a level at swim school!


She loved that she got to ring the bell and the whole pool cheered for her.


My amazing 97 year old Grandpa was moved into a hospice facility. My little family went to visit him. While we were there we got to see my Grandpa surrounded by three of his four sons. And one daughter-in-law. Beautiful moment.



Kacin is on the student council at school and they went on a field trip to Feed My Starving Children. Our little group rocked it and packed 24 boxes out of the 102 in that hour.


Kyler woke up early all week long and worked hard at school soccer tryouts. It paid off because he made the team!!! We are so excited for him. We celebrated with a cake. Layla and I had so much cake decorating skill you probably can't even tell which picture is the cake and which is the actual soccer ball.

                       

Brotherly love at the celebration.