August 27, 2016

the importance of fathers

Eric has been traveling all month. Luckily, he has been able to be home on the weekends and only be away during the week. There is something about being apart that always makes me realize just how important he is to our family and how much he means to me.

As a dad, he annoys and teases the kids. He jokes around. He doesn't always say or respond in the way that I would with the kids, but, you know what, it's effective. He has a great relationship with each of our children. They respect him and listen to him. He is patient and calm. And they need him. He brings balance and perspective to our parenthood.

Our marriage itself is pretty wonderful but far from perfect. We have our ups and downs. But I can honestly say I love him more today than I did when we were married 12 years ago. That doesn't mean that I don't get annoyed at him or frustrated and that he doesn't feel upset at me sometimes. But we keep choosing each other and choosing God and working on our marriage. And we are happy. I miss him like crazy when he is gone. Thank goodness for phones!

I came across a Matt Walsh article this week and I loved this part.

 
Eric will be home in a few days and we are so excited that he does not have to leave again for awhile! Fathers and husbands are pretty great people.